Prelude: Piazza di San Pietro

(Page 13 of 20)

Abandoned Hospital; Naples/Pozzuli, Italy
Sunday, February 20
6:57 AM

Cheval de Loa stepped into the room, allowing an employee to seal him in with the rabid beast. Leaning against the wall opposite Demetrius, he cracked the joints in his hand as he stared through the dull shadows of his jaundiced eyes. Demetrius snarled, green eyes beginning to radiate intensity. He could see blood throbbing through the veins of the boy across from him, a liquid sacrament awaiting his worship.

“Forgive me,” the child spoke, his voice somewhat hoarse “if I seem unimpressed by your circumstance. I feel no guilt in putting you here.”

“I could kill you where you stand. I’d have your throat torn out and your pre-pubescent body half drained before they even heard your screams.” A low growl rumbled deep within Demetrius’ chest. Cheval smiled, shadows lightening briefly as he raised his eyebrows in a chuckle. The effeminate laugh brought a sort of chill down the beast’s spine.

“I’m sure you could.” Cheval spoke.

“Then why the hell are you standing there making chit-chat?”

“Oh, believe me, I don’t typically make it a habit to converse with your kind. To be honest, the fact that I even have to be here speaking with a creature spawned of Hell sickens me.”

“Then don’t bother, kid. Let Nathaniel kill me already.”

“Nathaniel? The fact that you have knowledge of his name only furthers our concern for his ability and position. No, Demetrius, you won’t be seeing Nathaniel today.”

Demetrius was unsure why this conversation suddenly begun to concern him.

“Why am I here?”

“Oh, don’t misunderstand me. Nathaniel will not be joining the ranks of Italy’s section of the society. Still, you will be sacrificed.”

With blinding speed, the creature moved through the small amount of air between he and Cheval. Fangs reared to tear flesh. His jaw dislocated so as to grasp around bone. Fingers sharpened into razor tips, and ears tuned sharply to the sound of the sacramental pulse. In less than a moment, he was atop his captor, dark saliva dripping slowly off his tongue as he hissed. A beast leaning in for the kill, Demetrius’ frigid breath chilled Cheval’s skin.

No comments:

Creative Commons License